Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I used Alfalfa Green Soil Nutrition instead of other organic fertilizers and amendments?
- What is the difference between Alfalfa Green and plain old alfalfa hay?
- How often should I apply Alfalfa Green Soil Nutrition?
- What kind of projects can I use Alfalfa Green in?
- Why is there white fuzz on my soil after applying Alfalfa Green Soil Nutrition?
- Who uses Alfalfa Green?
Why should I use Alfalfa Green Soil Nutrition instead of other organic fertilizers and amendments?
A: Alfalfa Green pellets are an environmentally-friendly and sustainable way to feed your plants and soil. Everybody benefits from Alfalfa Green – people, pets, and especially “Mother Nature”. Alfalfa Green makes for a cleaner environment from the beginning stages of production until long after application. Since Alfalfa Green pellets contain no binding agents or fillers and are chemical, pesticide, and herbicide free, they are as natural as it comes. They are safe for anybody to touch, smell, and be around, which makes them ideal for applying in areas where your children and pets play.
Unlike many other organic fertilizers, Alfalfa Green Soil Nutrition does not contribute to existing soil challenges such as excess salinity or acidity. Compared to manure, Alfalfa Green contains low levels of salts and helps buffer soil pH.
What is the difference between Alfalfa Green Soil Nutrition and plain old alfalfa hay?
A: Alfalfa Green is processed using extreme heat, pressure, and steam. This process brings out alfalfa’s natural pectin and eliminates the need for synthetic binding agents while simultaneously killing any viable weed seeds and pathogens. The heat treatment during this process also means that alfalfa’s natural allelopathic chemicals (allelochemicals) are neutralized.
Read about allelopathy here!
How often should I apply Alfalfa Green Soil Nutrition?
A: Alfalfa Green can be applied as often as you need to get the results you want. Keep in mind that Alfalfa Green is a slow-release fertilizer. Unlike conventional chemical fertilizers, it takes a while for Alfalfa Green to break down and start releasing nutrients. It could take up to 14 days to see results, but this slow release of nutrients means there is no chance of chemical burning from applying too much.
Alfalfa Green Soil Nutrition can be applied in several ways:
1) The alfalfa pellets can be mixed into the soil using a disk or other soil mixing equipment, going so small as mixing by hand with a rake or hoe. This works well on areas that do not have vegetation.
2) On vegetated areas, Alfalfa Green can be spread on top as a “top dress” and pellets will provide a source of nutrients and organic matter as they break down.
3) Alfalfa Green can also be made into an “alfalfa tea” and used as a foliar spray for your flowers, hanging baskets, and gardens. For complete instructions, see our Directions for Use page or watch our YouTube video by clicking here!
What kind of projects can I use Alfalfa Green in?
Alfalfa Green pellets are a versatile product that can be used anywhere you’ve got soil or plants. Alfalfa Green is used to decompact soils, aid in phytoremediation, increase water retention and aeration, boost microbial populations and activity, and speed up reclamation and remediation. It is ideal for homeowners too, being useful for lawn, gardening, and composting needs. From your tomato patch to your lawn or compost pile, Alfalfa Green puts the life back into your soil.
Alfalfa Green pellets also work as a fertilizer by providing a broad spectrum of available nutrients for plants such as flowers, turfgrass, and vegetables. By applying Alfalfa Green, you will get larger and brighter blooms, greener lawns, and bigger produce.
Why is there white fuzz on my soil after using Alfalfa Green?
A: This is normal! When you apply Alfalfa Green, the beneficial soil microbes and fungi go a little crazy over their new food source. The white fuzz you see is a result of the soil microfauna going into overdrive as they make use of the Alfalfa Green. Just scratch it into the surface and go about your business as usual.
A: Alfalfa Green is used by everyone from reclamation and remediation experts to homeowners looking to help green up their lawn or boost their produce yields. Alfalfa Green is used across Canada by golf courses, market gardens, greenhouses, homeowners, reclamation and remediation consultants, nurseries, agricultural producers, landscapers, and more!
Read our Customer Testimonials here!